Monday, February 25, 2008

Pupukea

La`e la`e o ke kai

The sea is calm
Malo`o ke kai ia la
It is the day of the low tide
Aloha au i uka me
I love the uplands
Ke kahakai o Pupukea
And the seashore of Pupukea

Ka nawali ka nalukai
The feeble, the weary
E kokoke ke kahakai
Gather near the seashore
E ho`ola kaula`i la
To absorb the healing power of the sun
Pomaika`i no ia lakou
Good fortune is theirs

Ke pi`i a`e o ke kai
The sea begins to rise
Nalu po`i halehale
Huge waves break high as a house
He`e nalu ho`okuko nei
Surfing becomes a contest
Lehulehu na po`e i kai
The multitude gathers there

Nalunalu ka moana
The rough high waves of the open sea
Kupikipiki`o ke kai
Rage in agitation
One na kolokamumu
The sand reverberates a crackling sound
Kai kolohe kai hehena
Mischievous sea, insane sea

Eo mai ka moana
Answer, oh sea
Kai malo`o me ke kai piha
Sea of the low and high tide
Aloha au i uka me
I love the uplands
Ke kahakai o Pupukea
And the seashore of Pupukea

No comments: